By now, you are probably aware that there are certain pieces that are essential to have in your closet. You’ve heard that you need an LBD, good pair of jeans, and a trench coat probably a million times. While those are definitely must have’s, in my opinion, there are some other pieces that are also very worth having. Ok, let’s be honest, I probably justify a lot of my clothing purchases by telling myself they’re essential to my wardrobe when they’re probably not, but bear with me. Here’s why these pieces need a space in your wardrobe:
1. Striped dress: This dress is super lightweight and comfortable. If that’s not enough for you in these hot summer months, I got more. Stripes are classic, they will always be in style, and believe it or not, they are actually flattering. I feel like a striped dress is kind of a blank canvas, you can dress it up or down, mix other prints easily with it, or you can use it to really make your bright accessories pop.
2. Denim Jacket: If you don’t have a denim jacket yet, go right now and get one, but make sure you invest a little bit in it, because a quality denim jacket will only get better with age. This is also a staple because, like stripes, it won’t go out of style. Sure, for a couple years there, only my grandmother was still consistently wearing one, but a) she was a very hip grandmother, and b) it never really went out of style, it just wasn’t “trendy” to wear it for a short period of time. I love denim jackets because, like black leather moto jackets, they can make a girly dress seem more grounded, or just make a casual outfit look effortlessly cool.
3. Big sunglasses: You need a pair of big sunnies because not only are they classic (hello, Audrey Hepburn, anyone?), but they also have the more practical use of shading extra real estate on your face from the sun. If that sounds like a weird reason to wear big sunglasses, just think of the wrinkles you are preventing! I’m pretty sure there is not science behind this, please still wear sunscreen. However, sunglasses in general keep you from squinting in the bright sunlight, and that DEFINITELY helps prevent wrinkles. Gotta love fashion that not only looks great but is anti-aging as well. 😉
4. A statement necklace: Statement necklaces have really secured a place in my heart in the last couple of years. I love them because they can make any outfit feel more special, even if its just a white tee-shirt and jeans. If you aren’t big on the bling-bling look of this one, statement necklaces come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and variations, so find one that works for you and werk it.
5. A good watch: If you haven’t noticed yet, I wear this huge Michael Kors watch almost every day. I got it for Christmas about 4 years about after some heavy hinting to my boyfriend, and I have almost never taken it off since. Since a good watch will last you a long time, invest in one that is quality so you can wear it for years to come.
6. A Structured Bag: I’ve always had a weakness for purses. This weakness leads me to impulsively buy them when I find one I like. While lots of my handbags are on the cheaper side, I do have a couple that are more high-end. Investing in at least one quality, classic bag will never be a waste of money.
7. Strappy Black Heels: Your summer wardrobe especially needs some black strappy heeled sandals. They come in all different forms, so you can find a style that you love. I love these sandals because they took an outfit that might have otherwise looked a little soccer-mom-ish and gave it some oomph.
What are some of your wardrobe “essentials?” Drop me a note in the comments below, I’d love to hear from ya!
Don’t forget to try a month of Rocksbox for free! Use my code “Bellepasparfaitxoxo” at checkout!
Photos by Amy Nosowitz