One thing that never fails to inspire me as an aspiring actress is award shows. Seeing other people’s dreams come true is really moving and never fails to newly motivate me to start working harder towards mine. The other thing that definitely is motivating is watching the parade of beautiful people walk the red carpet. Ever since I can remember I have absolutely been obsessed with the red carpet aspect of award shows. I almost don’t even need to watch the actual show. Honestly, I would kill to be able to get all dressed up in couture gowns and walk down a red carpet. Ahh…maybe someday. For now, here are my favorites and my “wtf was she thinking” picks from last night’s Golden Globe Awards.
1. Lupita Nyong’o in Ralph Lauren. I am such a sucker for a great cape, and this vibrant dress with the dramatic cape attached is to die for, not to mention Lupita’s gorgeous, glowy skin. Perfect!
2. Lena Dunham in Zac Posen. Thank God this girl figured it out on the red carpet this time, she has had a lot of misses in the past. I love the style and the bright color of this dress, I thought it was perfect for her personality and the occasion. Now if only she could wipe that weird expression off of her face?
3. Cate Blanchett in Armani. To me, Cate Blanchett is one of the most elegant and gorgeous women in Hollywood right now. I thought this dress was absolutely breathtaking and a great choice for her tall, statuesque frame.
4. Emilia Clarke in Proenza Schouler. Nice one, Khaleesi! I almost didn’t recognize you from your Game of Thrones alter ego. I really loved the texture and structure of this great dress.
5. Taylor Swift in Carolina Herrera. I thought this dress was a refreshing choice for Taylor, since she has lately been seen on the red carpet wearing gold or some sort of ivory.
6. Jennifer Lawrence in Dior. On the one hand, this dress reminds me of her Oscars dress last year a bit too much. One part of me wishes she had done something different that we haven’t seen her in yet. On the other hand, its a beautiful dress and she looks great in it. Plus, her makeup and hair were flawless.
7. Margot Robbie in Gucci. Honestly, I will admit I had never heard of Margot Robbie before the Golden Globes. But thanks to this stunning gown, I will not soon forget her!
8. Michelle Dockery in Oscar de la Renta. It’s hard for me to disassociate Michelle Dockery with her character on Downton Abbey, but I do believe that Lady Mary would be proud of this choice. Also, her gorgeous, pale skin is so amazing, it is kind of inspiring me to wear more sunscreen. She is a great example that you don’t have to be bronzed to be beautiful.
9. Robin Wright in Reem Acra. Though Robin Wright did have an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction during her acceptance speech, she still looks incredible. She’s in better shape than I am and I’m about half her age! I can only hope to look half as flawless as this someday.
10. Kerry Washington in custom Balenciaga. I love Kerry Washington all the time. Her red carpet looks are always spot on, so it was no surprise that she showed up in such a stunning gown.
11. Emma Roberts in Lanvin. I have a special weakness for mermaid dresses. They’re my favorite, so when someone wears a mermaid dress I tend to be a little more biased because I would wear a mermaid gown every day of my life if it was socially acceptable.
12. Sandra Bullock in Prabal Gurung. This dress took a little white to grow on me. At first I hated it, however, after some time, I decided that it is fantastic and fit her so well that I couldn’t help but love it. Plus, it definitely stood out from the crowd of beading and super embellished dresses.
13. Kate Beckinsdale in Zuhair Murad. What can I say, Kate Beckinsdale is just drop dead gorgeous, and this dress is hot, hot, hot! What else can I say?
14. Anna Gunn in Donna Karen Atelier. Seeing Anna Gunn all dressed up and glamorous like this was such a great change from the way she is styled in Breaking Bad. That huge bow on the back of her dress was to die for!
15. Elizabeth Moss in J Mendel. Elizabeth’s dress got a little bit of flack from some, but I personally love how different and kind of futuristic it looks. The detail on this dress is exquisite.
16. Caitlin Fitzgerald in Emilia Wickstead. This dress seems like it is on the plain side, but the color and the fit is so perfect, in combination with those great shoes, that I don’t mind that its so simple. Sometimes less is more!
17. Amy Adams in Valentino Haute Couture. I love that Amy Adams kept up the glam 70’s vibe from her film, American Hustle, in this Valentino gown. She looked beautiful as she always does on the red carpet.
18. Julie Bowen in Carolina Herrera. I love the color blocking and the combination of colors in this dress. She looks very put together and sophisticated.
19. Emma Watson in Dior. I love Emma Watson, but I really don’t understand her red carpet choice last night. From the front, it looked like a sort of boring coral dress, but from the back it was all weird and open, and she had pants on underneath…I just don’t like it. I’m all for taking risks and doing things that are different but this just was not executed well in my point of view.
20. Zooey Deschanel in Oscar de la Renta. This look is just too much cutseyness. We get it Zooey, you are super cute and quirky and fun, but this outfit just makes you look like an old lady.
21. Paula Patton in Stephane Rolland Couture. I don’t think much needs to be said about this look, but that ruffle is wearing Paula, not Paula wearing the ruffle.
22. Hayden Panettiere in Tom Ford. I really love Hayden, love the show Nashville, but this choice in dress and styling leaves a lot of things to be desired. I just think that the neckline is wrong for her frame, this dress does not make her look feminine at all. I’m also not a fan of the “I just got out of the pool” hair look.
23. Heidi Klum in Marchesa. Ugh. Heidi! You’re so perfect! Just wear something simple! You don’t need all the cray cray! I can’t.
24. Drew Barrymore in Jenny Packham. I know a good amount of people really liked this dress but I personally think that it is way too overwhelming, especially for someone who also has a nice sized baby bump. She should’ve taken a page from Kerry Washington’s book.
25. Zoe Saldana in Prabal Gurung. This dress makes absolutely no sense to me. There’s so much randomness going on…I don’t know. I’ve tried and tried to like this dress and I just can’t come to terms with it. Its just too crazy and mish-mashed. Sorry, not sorry.
26. Lizzy Caplan in Emilio Pucci. To me, this dress might have been interesting on Helen Mirren or maybe even Meryl Streep? This dress seems to old for Lizzy Caplan who is young and pretty. She should have a dress that shows her off.
27. Julia Roberts in Dolce and Gabbana. Its not that I don’t think that Julia looks flawless. She definitely does. I just think this weird white button down shirt under her dress just ages her more than she should be aged. Julia is still gorgeous and has a great body and I think it is too young for her to wear something that a much older woman would wear on the red carpet.
Well, there’s my best and worst dressed picks! Honestly for the most part, I think everyone looked pretty freakin fab. Do you agree or disagree?! Thanks for reading, and have a great evening! xo